Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dubai Metro Q & A with Ashfaq!


How can I go to Al Mazaya Center, on Shaikh Zayed Road after getting off the Financial Centre Station? Is there any feeder bus system?

Ashfaq: There is no feeder bus from Financial Centre Metro Station to Al Mazaya Centre.

(now that's an ugly cul-de-sac)

........................................

I took a bus form Baniyas to the Union metro station and after I exited the bus i entered the train within 10 minutes but I was charged 1.7 extra i.e. 4.10 was deducted as the normal metro fare and an addition 1.7 was deducted. Why is that?

Ashfaq: Please complain to the RTA in case you feel that you were overcharged.

(I think the question was whether he should feel he'd been overcharged or not?)

........................................

As it was told that bus service will be free for metro user But today I took metro from mall of emirates to Khalid bin Walid station (Burjuman) Dh4.50

Ashfaq: You need to understand the fare structure. Nothing is free. But if you take the bus or the train or both from the Mall of the Emirates to the Khalid Bin Al Waleed Station, the fare will be Dh4.50 because the two destinations fall in two different zones. For complete fare structure please visit www.gulfnews.com/metro

(but he was told it'll be free, it'll be free!)

........................................

I am staying in Al Baraha area in Deira, Dubai. I want to go Palm Jumeirah. Please send me a Metro travel schedule. 

(I see, do you want a beverage with that as well?!)

Ashfaq: You can use the journey planner called Al Wojhati Service available on the RTA's website and plan your journey.

(however, and in a reply to another question later on, Ashfaq admitted that the Wojhati service is still being updated with Metro Info)
........................................

I just need to now[sic] if I did shopping and I need to travel by metro how many bags I can carry in the metro?

Ashfaq: You can take as many shopping bags as you can carry but not the shopping trolley.

(what if I can carry the trolley?)

........................................

How do you cross the Track from one walkway to the other side?

Ashfaq: There are walkways built inside the station to go across the track.

(duh, you swing it from one ceiling rafter to the other like a chimp!)

........................................

Simple question: Who built the metro? I mean was it Japanese or Korean company.

Ashfaq: The Metro is being built by Dubai Rapid Link (DURL) Consortium which comprises Japanese companies including Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Mitsubishi Corporation, Obayashi Corporation, Kajima Corporation and the Turkish company Yapi Merkezi.

(simplicity FTW)

........................................

Can u tell the official website of Dubai Metro?

Ashfaq: www.rta.ae

(I thought this was the website for all MODES of transbort?)
........................................

Drinking is prohibited in metro. Not even water. Why cant you allow water. Is there any harm in that. (sob, sob)

Ashfaq: This is an RTA rule. (!!)

(do you understand or shall we ban nose picking too?)

10 comments:

the real nick said...

I don't know about Arabic speakers but I'd pronounce this name 'Ass fuck'.
I know it's off topic but I can't help giggling.

Dubai Jazz said...

Nick,

The disclaimer VVV has finally been altered. Have a look. lol.

Omar said...

That’s what you get when you open something for service for the sole purpose of having a cool date.

moryarti said...

I agree with the obscurity of the 'No water on board the metro' thing … especially in a place like the UAE. That is plain dumb..

the real nick said...

LOL
Love the disclaimer!!!

Dubai Jazz said...

Omar,

I believe there will have been teething problems not matter when the Metro starts operation.

What I liked about those Q&A is the naivety and confusion. I don't blame the news paper though, they're reporters after all, not train operators.

Dubai Jazz said...

Mory,

Yes. That rule is kind of dumb.

But I don't really mind it, since it's believed that if you open the door for water drinking on the metro, soon the soft drinks, sulaimani and samosas will follow :)

BuJ said...

oh this cracked me up!!!!!

btw, how can u take anyone with such a high teeth-to-eye ratio seriously at all?

yuky.. Ask AssFuck indeed..

man, really can't stand GN these days. It's just like Khaleej Times really but with a better delivery service.

Yuk, what a travesty...

anyway, some of the answers are just dumb and yes I would ban nose picking.. mind you, if the metro would house all the idiots in this place the roads would be nice and clear.. but obviously not working, as witnessed today on Al Rabat road (near Festival City) total mayhem..

BuJ said...

i think 090909 was chosen as a good metro date rather than the metro being designed around 090909.

such a huge project will always be complex and suffer delays and getting the 090909 target spot on is not a small task.. even though only 10 stations were open.. still a mega thumbs up to the RTA

BuJ said...

ok, sorry, one last one...

i never read assfuck because of his picture on my paper.. but does anyone know what qualifications he has to be able to cover the metro so exclusively?

finally, will H.E. M. Al-Tayer get a bonus this year? and if so, then how much?