Friday, June 06, 2008

A dull day at the office.

Me: see, all I am saying is that this guy (a historian and an academician) has brought few evidence that the word 'almah' was mistranslated in the new testament. In old Hebrew it actually meant 'young woman' and not necessarily a virgin. There is another word in Hebrew for virgin, as we understand it, but it wasn't used in the scripture.

KM: so what does that mean?

KM is my Indian colleague, he's a Muslim guy from Hyderabad. He is much more a firmer believer than me. But he's nonetheless open minded and logical person. He knows when he sees a good reasoning. He saw my own reasoning.

Me: I don't know what that means, my friend. But somebody has got to investigate. We've got loads and loads of scholars who wear turbans and go around issuing edicts for the smallest of details in our lives. Aren't one of them supposed to take up the issue and put it in words, in Arabic, and present it to us? aren't we worth the effort? or are we just supposed to shun this academic research, when we stumble upon it, as a work of some infidels and that's it?

KM: No, of course not. It should be investigated. But I am seriously wondering, even if it is mistranslated, what does that mean?

Me: it may mean a lot of things that we can not comprehend at the moment. But we ought to make the judgement for ourselves at the time. I am not saying that two holly books (ma3az allah) could be refuted just because one word was mistranslated. Indeed, this guy, the academician, the researcher, whoever he is, might have been trying to stir the water for the believers. But as far as I looked, nobody has challenged his findings so far. So all I am asking, and I don't really know whom to ask, is for our own muslim theologists/historians/linguistic experts to take up the matter. See what shakes.

My friend KM just nodded. This is what I like about him. Other people might have dismissed me as a fool or an ignorant who doesn't know what he's talking about. Or maybe even accused me of blasphemy. But KM is different, he didn't judge me at all. In fact, I can tell that he respects me even more after that discussion took place. I wish there were more Muslims like him.

And of course, if you guys have any knowledge about the subject of contention, please let me know. The comment section is all yours. Thanks!

9 comments:

KJ said...

You have a point, but you're asking the Muslim scholars to do something that may undermine their own principles and stir up the already diminishing faith in people these days.

So they go about and kill their own faith by criticizing everything we do :-) isn't life grand?

abufares said...

Ah, A DJ with an open mind... and a free hand...
We should not hesitate to question everything past, present and future. Thank you for reminding us of this basic fact of life.

the real nick said...

And this is what you do at work, talk about virgins all day long, eh?

DUBAI JAZZ said...

KJ, you are right. They might be in a delimma. But that still doesn't excempt them from their self-proclaimed responsiblities!

DUBAI JAZZ said...

What do you mean with an open mind ya Abu Fares? did I come by with a close mind before?

:)

DUBAI JAZZ said...

lol Real Nick, yeah.... we talk about virgins a lot.

you know, it takes one to know one ;)

the real nick said...

DJ, I suggest you take the express route then - via 'matryrdom'

DUBAI JAZZ said...

Right, got one hell of de-virginzing job ahead of me!

rosh said...

Kaya lol you naughty girl :)